Monday, November 21, 2011

Day 4: Thankful For My Thanksgiving Wreath

My door was looking rather blah after I took down all the Halloween decorations. So I figured I would make something fall-ish. I knew I wanted simple and wanted to use felt. 

I started with a piece of round cardboard (from a frozen pizza, ha ha ha) as my starting point. Using some felt I already had and a hot glue gun, I created the first covered round. 



Then I started on my flowers. Again, I wanted simplicity, so I took leftover squares from blanket making and trimmed them into circles. The I cut the circles in a spiral pattern. I then took the rounded end for the center, and wrapped each layer accordingly. I secured the end piece with a dab of glue and then flipped the flower over and used hot glue on the back as well, to make sure they kept their shape.

 


When all the flowers were complete I arranged them on the cloth covered circle. I thought it looked cute, but it needed another color to lighten it up. I also wanted the wreath to be a bit bigger. So, I cut another circle out of cardboard, covered it in cloth and then adhered it to the back. I liked this look much better :)




 Next for the ribbon. I went with brown to accent the brown flowers. I cut the desired length of ribbon for the hanger, and then started working on the bow. This bow was super easy. Just take a few strips of ribbon (descending sizes if you want the loops to be smaller in the middle), fold so the ends meet in the middle, angle slightly and then glue together. Use as many or as few as you wish. I wanted a small but somewhat full bow, so I continued to layer until my liking.



Once the bow was set I decided it need some bling. I added varying size faux pearls to the centers of my flowers to make them pop a bit. For the top bling, I added a dab of hot glue on a piece of wax paper and then arranged the pearls in the design I liked. (You have to work quick before the glue dries). Once set, I peeled the arrangement from the wax paper and glued it to the center of my bow.



After I attempted to hang the wreath, I realized I needed another loop of ribbon at the top because the wreath hook was so large. I just cut another strip of ribbon and glued it to the back. I made it small enough so it would blend in with the bow.

And here is the final product :)


No comments:

Post a Comment