Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 3: The Stand Will Stand Again

I have this little plant stand that I have been hiding from my husband for years. He has tried desperately to rid of it. Every move, spring cleaning, bulk pick-up, and even some trash days he has asked to put it out. But I think it is cute. Old and beat up, but cute nonetheless. Well, I finally found the spot for it and gave it little make-over.

Silly me, I forgot to take a "before" picture, but you can probably picture it - old, dingy, boring brown wood with knicks and the case of the wobblies. Well I fixed the wobblies (just needed a little tightening) and took the idea from Pinterest to use Elmer's glue to create a crackled look. While I love the rustic look of the crackle, something about it seems too "country-ish" to me. So, I decided to use some more modern colors (really, can you go wrong with black and red?) and then add a clear gloss over top for some shine.

Here are some pictures before the gloss overcoat. (It was just too matte for me and I really wanted the red to pop more). To get this I applied a layer of Elmer's glue directly to the wood, using my finger. Waited a bit for it to get "tacky" (but NOT dry) and then took my paint brush with color (acrylic - red with a bit o' black) and lightly went over the glue. Only use one stroke on an area and only go in one direction, otherwise the glue will not crackle correctly. I let the first coat dry and decided to add another. I could still see some of the wood beneath the colors, and wanted to cover it up. I repeated the previous steps and really liked how it looked. Talk about instant gratification from watching the crackle start after only a few minutes. Pretty darn cool if you ask me. And the best part?  I did it with inexpensive school glue and acrylic paint I already had. Score!

(Note to self: Stock up on school glue next time it is like 25 cents a bottle)

Before gloss:

 


After gloss:
 


 

Post note: Now that the gloss has had a few days to set, it is not quite as shiny as above.
It turned out perfect! I can't wait to use it for photos and plants.

Inspired By: Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment