Friday, April 8, 2011

Wanted: New Cool Room for 8 Year Old Boy

My son has wanted a bunk bed for quite some time now. My problem with them though, is that they are so chunky and a lot of them waste more space than actually create it. Aside from that, a really sturdy bunk bed is a bit on the spendy side. After looking through some of those awesome sites I posted just a bit ago, I think I have come up with a solution. Hubby agrees with it and I think we could pull it off at the fraction of cost for a retail bunk. This is what I am thinking:


I really like that there is minimal space used for this design, which allows for more "play" room. I am all about the fact that there are two beds and they hardly over-lap at all, giving both beds ample head room.

Challenges:
1) Finding a ladder that would work in that area. I would want one that is removable or hinged, that way the storage area under the bed could be utilized and easily accessed (SCORE for added storage area!)
2) Getting the right measurements for the desk area. I don't want it to be too small. I do love that it is hinged though, and can be folded up to allow even space.
3) Finding the right chair.
3) Make the desk top wide enough (after closure) that a laptop will fit inside. Of course this will mean that wires will also need to run through the back of the desk for connectivity. Although SCORE for being able to hide those wires in the storage area!

Changes:
1) Make the back of the desk area out of cork.
2) Add a light under the lip of the bed frame above the desk. Since the desk is hinged, a desk lamp won't really work, but a small "under counter" light would be perfect.
3) Colors. I like the green and yellow, but they aren't really my son. I have other colors in mind.

With the two beds and desk on one side of the room, it leaves plenty of room for a dresser and bookshelf along another wall - maybe even a little lounge area in the center.

I am super stoked about this! Hope the kiddo likes it!

http://www.modernhomeidea.com/modern-bedroom/loft-bedroom-ideas-with-small-spaces/attachment/lower-ceilings-loft-bedroom-ideas-with-small-spaces/

_____________________
Pulled some colors and ideas together. This is what I am thinking...


No comments:

Post a Comment