Thursday, April 7, 2011

Time to Build a New Nest

Although we love our current home, we have outgrown it. And with the possibility of more kiddos in the future, we really need to find something else.

Of course this does not stress me out in the least bit. I have this odd fascination with looking for houses for sale and going to open houses. Love it. Sometimes we just pack up the kiddos and drive around for a few hours looking at houses. Of course the kids don't consider it the most fun thing to do, but it really helps the hubby and I relax. We have time to talk about something (other than the kids) and it gets our creative juices flowing. Some of the best landscaping and decorating ideas have come from just browsing, or attending open houses. Even more so, it gives us insight on what we would NOT want in a new home - which I think is extremely important.

So, I have been following home sales for the last year or so, every since we began thinking about what our next step would be. We have been undecided about buying vs. building. They both have their pros and cons.
We have made offers on homes that would suffice (i.e, meaning we weren't IN LOVE with the house, but it had most of what we wanted and we would just have to work on those things it didn't). Both homes we made offers on fell through (on the sellers end), and so we just took it as a sign. (We tend to see signs like that all the time - keeps us optimistic!). So in the end I think we have come to the conclusion to build.

Of course if any of you have ever built a custom home, you know all the crazy stuff that is involved. Part of me is sooooo excited to jump right in, and the other part has me so uneasy about making decisions I may regret later.

So as it stands right now, we have a hold on a lot, and after much consideration have found the floor plan that we like the most. There of course are some adjustments that need to be made to get the things we really want out of it, but the layout is one that we think we will be really pleased with.

Now, of course, we have to put out current house up for sale. Oh joy! (insert sarcasm here). Don't get me wrong, I am excited to get it out there, it's the prepping and staging (and lack of energy and time) that I am not so thrilled about. Our goal is to have it up on Sunday. Today is Thursday. Think it's possible?

I'll be posting pictures of the process....probably more details about house stuff than anyone wants to hear - so, sorry. But it is good to know that I will get some great feedback and opinions along the way. If you know me, you know that I am a very open person. So please, suggest away!

Here is the floor plan of the model we have chosen. I am hesitant to even post the pictures of the front of the house that they have on the website. The elevation they have pictured is hideous! It looks like an box with awkward windows. Gag. Please keep in mind that the front of our new house will not look like the one pictured :) The interior layout is what I want you to see most. Check it out...




First Floor



Second Floor


Basement (unfinished for now)


No comments:

Post a Comment